Nov 3, 2013

The Chilli Pickle, Brighton

I know, I know, I've been terrible with blogging again. I've been ridiculously busy, what with work for my MA, a new job, and just the general hecticness of life.
Luckily I managed to fit in a little visit home last week, which was really nice, but I still don't feel that I've had enough time to do all the things that I would have liked to.
Anyway, this post is a little delayed, being from a few weeks ago when my Mum came up/(down? my geography really isn't great...) to Brighton to visit and to stay the night.
We had a really nice day, having lunch at a little cafe in the North Laines and then going to the cinema to see Le Weekend which I enjoyed.
In the evening we decided to go out for some pre-dinner cocktails before heading to The Chilli Pickle, a much talked about Indian restaurant with a twist that I had been wanting to go to for some time.
Our choice of cocktail venue was the Merkaba bar in Myhotel, a trendy bar which just happens to be right next door to The Chilli Pickle on Jubilee Street (please excuse the somewhat grainy photos, I found myself without camera so had to improvise and use my iPhone camera).



This photogenic cocktail was the Palace Pier Punch, consisting of Appleton Estate V/X, crรจme de banane, Galliano, lime, pineapple, and passion fruit syrup.
I particularly liked the added touch of the passion fruit and the jelly baby (both of which I proceeded to eat as soon as I'd finished the cocktail).


Next I went for the Sugar Daddy: Stoli Gala Applik, Stoli Salted Karmel, apple juice, lime juice, vanilla sugar, and all topped off with soda water. It was good.




Apres cocktails we headed next door to The Chilli Pickle.
I was very hungry by this point and the smell as soon as you walked in there was overwhelming, I was stealing glances at everyone else's food to see what they had that could possibly smell so good.
We sat ourselves down and attempted to make a decision about what to order.





The restaurant inside is very cool, they've got the interiors just right, being trendy but not too formal and unwelcoming.






In the end we managed to narrow our options down to the Tamil Masala Dosa and the Tandoori Chicken Platter, both of which we shared between us.
The Tamil Masala Dosa is basically a crisp South Indian rice pancake filled with spiced potato, curry leaf and ginger, and served with two different accompanying curries and a spicy green coconut chutney (all delicious).
The Tandoori Chicken Platter consisted of a chicken curry which was cooked just perfectly, alongside coriander and chilli naan bread and some sort of yoghurt dip.
I can't quite decide which my favourite was, although I really liked the Dosa, especially as I'd never tried it before.
The meal was accompanied by a fresh lime pickle and a bottle of their special red wine...





We took our time over our meal and somehow ended up being one of the very last tables to leave...





Sometimes restaurants that have been built up and anticipated so much can disappoint a bit, but The Chilli Pickle comes highly recommended from me.
I'm looking forward to trying out something new on the menu next time, although there's always a temptation to stick with what you know and love...


1 comment:

  1. Now that's my kind of post! The cocktails look divine!

    Caroline x
    Cocktails and Caroline

    ReplyDelete